Old September 12th 13, 07:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
rickman rickman is offline

Default Marine VHF Radio for Truck

On 9/12/2013 10:33 AM, Reader wrote:

Yes I was lucky. My wife was listening to the radio at home. I had a
transceiver on 2182 at home. Oh dear, my bad it was illegal. She heard
my distress call and was on the edge of her seat. She then heard a
report from the tug that I had been recovered and was not breathing. She
thought the life she knew was over. Very traumatic for her, but not so
for me. She then heard the report that I had regained consciousness.

These events give one great respect for the elements and having a radio.

Yes, that is why I want to support the kayakers on the paddle next week,
as a safety measure. Last year we had a stiff wind from the north which
created significant waves at the start and a number of paddlers were not
able to make it all the way. I was part of the team which tracked their
progress and got them off the water. Cold was not an issue in this
case. Cold water makes such events much more dangerous. That is why I
want to have good radio communications.

I will be doing what is required to do this legally even if it means
sitting in a boat at the edge of the water.

Please take a look at this web site and let me know what you think. It
currently has a definite sea kayaking focus, but the intent is to
ultimately be inclusive of anyone who may end up in cold water, even if
not in a boat. If you would like to share the details of your story it
would be appreciated. You can contact me at the email address gnuarm at
gmail dot com

http://www.coldwatersafety.org/

Hi Rick,

Yes that was a good web site. I realized that my friend and I had become
adjusted somewhat to the cold surf. We did in fact first just go in for
5 minutes and had to get out. As we progressed during the summer we got
up to 20 minutes.

There are some details I left out about my immersion in very cold water.
I don't know if they are important to you or not. I could fill you in on
the details if you chose.

I received the email of this message. I take it the email address on
that message is not valid. Can I get a real email address for you? I'd
like to discuss your incident in detail, just not in this group.

--

Rick