Old September 13th 13, 03:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
rickman rickman is offline

Default Marine VHF Radio for Truck

On 9/13/2013 7:29 AM, Jeff wrote:

GSM cell phone coverage is limited by timing to 35km, about 5-10 times
the
range of a VHF handheld. If an 850 mHz GSM phone is not going to work
where you are then a handheld won't reach land either.

That is not correct of course; as it depends on where the cellphone
towers are located wrt to the user, and the terrain in between.
The OP has already stated that there is no cell phone coverage in the
area, so the 35km range is a moot point. He may only wish to talk to the
kayaks a few hundred yards away, but if you don't have any cell phone
signal you can't !!!

Yes, the issue is not how close land or the other kayakers are, it is
the distance and terrain to the cell tower.

Just for the sake of accuracy... If I said there was *no* cell coverage,
that was a mistake. Cell phones work in some areas and we *do* have
cell phones with us when we paddle. But the coverage is spotty and we
can't rely on them just as we can't rely on marine VHF radios.

Cell phones are also very difficult to operate compared to a push to
talk radio. If you are in a situation where the wind has picked up and
you are fighting waves you don't have the opportunity to pull out a cell
phone and dial up numbers. You are lucky to be able to take one hand
off the paddle long enough to push the talk button.

--

Rick