Old September 26th 13, 03:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default NiCAD battery pack feature?

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013, Roger wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 22:26:33 -0500, philo** wrote:

A photo would probably help though.

Maybe so, but this not being a binary group, a lot of news providers, like mine,
won't allow them to be listed on their servers. Rules, go figure huh? Damned
pain in the ass.

No it's not, and I'm not sure the suggestion meant posting a binary here.

You can put the photo anywhere and put the URL in the message. I have no
idea what happens these days, but once upon a time any ISP provided some
disk space, for a webpage or whatever. And you can actually put in the
area for webpages a graphic file, and just point to it in the message. No
webpage needed. And if you don't have an old style ISP, there are plenty
of other options for putting a photo online, and again just point to it.

Binary posts were never a good thing, too large and maybe most people
wouldn't be interested, yet they have to be transferred and stored at
every newsserver that carries binaries. It made sense in the early days
when Usenet was transferred over phone lines, because then the binaries
were used to pass software related to Usenet, and then I imagine later,
software related to the discussion. But once the internet became the
transfer method, other things worked better for binaries, while the bloat
of binary newsgroups has gone way up, as people use it for the wrong
reasons.

Michael VE2BVW