Old September 26th 13, 05:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John S John S is offline

Default Tape measure antenna with hairpin match

On 9/26/2013 7:11 AM, W5DXP wrote:
On Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:08:20 AM UTC-5, John S wrote:
Very short and it is highly inductive. Longer is less inductive.

John, the inductive reactance of an ideal shorted stub is a tangent
function that increases from zero at zero length up to a maximum on
the Smith Chart as the length approaches 1/4WL (undefined at 1/4WL).
The equivalent inductance is proportional to the inductive reactance
so - very short and it is slightly inductive (low reactance). Longer
is more inductive (up to 1/4WL).

What you say above seems to be referring to capacitive reactance in
open-circuit stubs where very short is highly reactive and longer is
less reactive.

Yep, you're right. I was only noticing that the length of the line was
longer, but that is a shorter stub. My mistake again.