Old September 26th 13, 11:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] karabas2001@yahoo.com is offline

Default MY NEW DX-160 REVIEW - By Judah Smith

On Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:05:31 PM UTC-4, D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 9/26/13 24:03 , Michael Black wrote:

IN looking at pictures for one of those Radio Shack receivers, it looks

quite a bit like what I remember the layout of my Hallicrafters S-120A

junk receiver looked like. I should open that thing and look. But it

made me wonder if we saw the same generic transistor receiver used by

various companies in different cabinets. If nothing else, both

receivers had the circuitry on one board, and the tuned circuits on

another, which can't be good for good design.

DX-160 was made by the late GRE, of Japan. OEM manufacturer for a

number of companies. So, your supposition is likely correct--You did see

the same radio in different packages.

DX-160 wasn't related to S-120A, however. Actually, DX-160 was a

better radio.

Isn't Alinco part of GRE ? Or maybe the other way around. They seem to have one HF receiver currently in production . It is DX-R8 .