Old October 16th 04, 09:36 PM
Roy Lewallen

That was a poor choice of word on my part -- I apologize. I meant
"fundamental". Wes explains how things work on a fundamental level. But
it isn't a textbook of pure basic theory. It relates working circuits to
their fundamental roots.

I took an expensive advanced microwave design short course some years
ago. The instructor was a person who'd worked in the field for many
years. With disturbing frequency, he would come out with statements I
knew to be false and, after some questioning, I discovered that he
didn't have any idea of the fundamental (or basic) criteria for
oscillation. He'd been designing oscillators for years without really
knowing what made them oscillate. This might have been a case of someone
who read the "intermediate" texts without ever reading the "fundamental"
ones.

This isn't to say that people can't design useful things without fully
understanding what they're doing -- I'm convinced that a majority of
useful things are created this way. But you can do an awfully lot more
if you have a real fundamental understanding of how things work. The
most truly creative and innovative engineers I've known have this
understanding -- and an intense curiosity about things they don't know.

I guarantee there's plenty of "intermediate" and "advanced" level
information in that book, and even without knowing anything of your
background, I also guarantee there's plenty of "fundamental" knowledge
you missed somewhere along the line and will pick up from this book. If
I'm wrong, let me know and I'll buy the book from you. I can always use
another copy.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Paul Burridge wrote:
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:39:27 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:
. . .
I highly recommend it for anyone interested in understanding electronic
circuits on a more basic level. It nicely complements his other books,
and it's a bargain at the price.

Oh, blast! You were doing so well there for a while, Roy. Now you've
gone and spoilt it all by using that word "basic." I was hoping for
something at least "intermediate" and I don't really see how "basic"
and "RF design" sit easily together in a single description. Please
tell me it's useful for more advanced stuff too!