Old October 6th 13, 05:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Homebrew Coil Form Factor

"Irv Finkleman" wrote in message
That's all good info Paul, but with the aid of some ferrite cores and
the like I plan to steer clear of any possible signal entering the
local wiring.

After I've been on the air for a bit, if I find that I'm not causing
any problems, I may run another rig I have (Yaesu ft-857D) and
use a bit more power.

In the meantime, I just want to get a signal out and see what
I can do with 5 watts and assorted attempts at balcony verticals
and later magnetic loops.

Another interesting thing is how I can feed the antenna through
the door to the balcony. I can't drill holes, but I currently have
a piece of RG-58 squeezed through the closeddoor. Every day I
check to see if anything has happened to it such as migration of
the center conductor to the point where it shorts to the sheild.
I've only been here for a week, but so far so good. I am aware
that there may be an impedance bump, but I'm not at all
concerned -- if I can get one or two watts ERP I'll be more
than happy. My earliest Elmer/Mentor, VE7YY, used to run a half
watt homebrew rig and got all over the place with it although
I think that his tower and beam helped a wee bit!

I'm not desperate, but nearly so, and anxious to get on the
air again. It might take a bit of time, but I hope all the
ideas I have put into setting up the system will work right
the first time. We had a touch of snow last week, and I'm
getting a little beyond the point of enjoying antenna work
outdoors in the winter.

Irv you may just be over thinking things. One thought that comes to mind
is to make something similar to the ham stick dipole. You take two mobile
whips and mount them on a plate so you have a horizontal dipole made of
them.

http://www.k7su.com/hsdipole.html

An easy way to home brew something may be to get a few pieces of PVC pipe.
Get a T and don't glue it, but just stick a piece out of each end and make a
loaded dipole out of each side for the band you want to work. Then use the
long side of the T to come down as a support. All this can be broken down
and assembled as needed in a minuit or so. You may be able to get a big
flower pot and fill it with cement with a hole in it so you can place the
vertical pipe.

Too bad that you can not drill about a 3/4 inch hole in the wall and use a
long bulkhead coax connector.