Old October 7th 13, 01:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Homebrew Coil Form Factor

On Sun, 06 Oct 2013 14:42:31 -0500, John S
wrote:

On 10/6/2013 10:24 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Gotta run and
watch the solar satellite outage today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_outage

Sorta like watching paint dry.

Ummm... no, it's not like watching paint dry.

I live in a forest of 50 meter redwood and fir trees. If you want to
receive TV or digital audio from a satellite, you need to find or make
a hole in the trees. During the solar satellite outage is the perfect
time to do this. Any place where the sun is shining during the
approximately 4 minutes of the outage is a good dish location. This
is my house in 2008:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/DBS/
It's also a good time to check if any tree branches are blocking
reception as they cast a shadow on the dish. Note the branch shadows:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/DBS/slides/101d.html
At 13 and 30GHz, the Fresnel Zone is about the same diameter as the
dish, so any hole in the trees bigger than the dish will work (until
the wind blows).

This year, I was at a customer with a similar problem. During the 4
minutes, we both ran around the property, taking photos of prospective
dish locations. We also discovered that his existing Exede dish had a
few branch shadows, which explains why it needs to be moved. We found
what I think will be a good location, as soon as the concrete sets.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D