Old October 7th 13, 04:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default Homebrew Coil Form Factor

On Sunday, October 6, 2013 10:24:55 AM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Another potential problem with a base loaded vertical is not power,

but voltage. At 5 watts, there's not going to be much voltage across

the coil. At 150 watts, it might arc. No calcs today. Gotta run and

watch the solar satellite outage today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_outage

I haven't had any problems with 100w. Mine are center to above
center loading though. Usually not base loaded.
In the normal driving mode, it's almost exactly center loaded.
But I have a solid mast I add below the glass whip when parked,
and then it's probably 2/3 up from the base or so.
These antennas are basically plastic bugcatchers. And you
could use two back to back as a dipole that could fit in a
fairly tight area.