Old October 21st 13, 11:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
J.B. Wood[_2_] J.B. Wood[_2_] is offline

Default Gamma Matching Question

On 10/17/2013 09:59 PM, Sal wrote:
"Irv Finkleman" wrote in message
I am planning to build a magnetic loop antenna and
feed it by means of a gamma match. I understand
that a gamma match will work over a wide range of
frequencies. I hope to work a number of bands using
the same loop.

Hello, and I would think by "magnetic" loop antenna there must also be a
"non-magnetic" loop antenna. Actually I'm just ranting a little bit -
we only have loop antennas (which can also be shielded or unshielded).
If we're talking about the use of such an antenna in the far field then,
like any other receiving/transmitting antenna it captures/radiates an
E-M field. The fact that the plane of the loop antenna aligns with the
magnetic component of the E-M field is due to the geometry of the
antenna. Adding the "loop" qualifier to the name is unnecessary and
invites confusion to those unfamiliar with basic electromagnetic theory
IMHO. Electric and magnetic fields in and of themselves don't radiate;
only E-M fields can do that. Sincerely, and 73s from N4GGO,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: