Old October 24th 13, 11:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
J.B. Wood[_2_] J.B. Wood[_2_] is offline

Default Gamma Matching Question

On 10/23/2013 03:26 PM, W5DXP wrote:

We switched over to ferrite rod antennas which,
because they respond primarily to the magnetic field

Although you are correct in stating
that all radio waves in free space are ElectroMagnetic waves, some
antennas are more sensitive to the magnetic portion of the EM wave
and some are more sensitive to the electric portion of the EM wave.

If we're talking about radiant E-M energy, I can just as easily replace
anything attributed to the H-field component with the appropriate
E-field equivalent (using the Maxwell equations) and claim that field as
being the one to which the antenna is "sensitive". So the above
statements don't make sense. Again I'm assuming far-field, not close-in
coupling. Also, as I previously pointed out, I think this line of
thinking may have started from close-in coupling action but has been
incorrectly extended to everywhere. I've met some folks who think that
loop and dipole antennas, used as radiators, "transmit" the H and E
fields, respectively, without further elaboration. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: