Old November 3rd 13, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Alan Alan is offline

Default Gamma Matching Question

In article W5DXP writes:
On Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:54:05 AM UTC-5, J.B. Wood wrote:
So the above statements don't make sense.

I agree that the E/M ratio for far field signals in space is a constant. Th=
at doesn't prohibit a receiving antenna from creating its own unique near-f=
ield conditions and altering that ratio just as there is nothing prohibitin=
g a load from altering the E/M ratio that exists in a transmission line. In=
fact, the E/M ratio must necessarily be altered at impedance discontinuiti=
es.

Example: Two different antennas are receiving the same signal and indicatin=
g the same signal level. As a human walks close to the two antennas, the re=
ceived signal strength of one antenna changes radically while the received =
signal strength of the other is affected by only a small amount. If both an=
tennas were *accepting* the same fixed far-field E/M ratio, a human body sh=
ould have the same effect on both antennas but we can demonstrate that it d=
oesn't.

Of course, if the antennas are accepting the signal from different directions,
they will be affected differently by people walking around them. My point is
that other factors could cause the antennas to have different results when
a person moves near them.

Alan
wa6azp