Old November 12th 13, 06:26 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
gareth gareth is offline

Default Heinz 57 varieties

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1311121238260.16553@darkstar. example.org...
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013, gareth wrote:

Anybody who has prized the lid off from their mobile phone recently
cannot have failed to notice the tinplate-like screens shielding the RF
stages, in a similar manner to the lids on TV tuners.

As a ferrous screen is better than just aluminium for magnetic shielding,
I wonder if any have pressed into service the tinplate from cans of
baked beans to provide a similar function?

If so, what was the success in fabricating the springy fingers to ensure
a good seal?

What you do is find small cans, eat or discard the contents, wash
carefully, and then use those for the separate modules. No need to build
something up, the structure is sound as it is. Use a piece of circuit
board for the cover.

Actually, you have something there, say from a tin of sliced pineapple to,
sit over
an ugly-constructed blank PCB.

Some years ago, to satisfy the need for a wavemeter, I made one up for
144MHz
by soldering together a number of tins, opened at both ends to make the
outer part
of a cavity wavemeter, with a 1/4" stair rod for the plunger. It's about 5'
long
when fully extended, but gives me fundamental plus 3rd harmonic checks.