Old November 13th 13, 04:21 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Custos Custodum Custos Custodum is offline

Default Heinz 57 varieties

"gareth" wrote in news:l5tmj6$scp$1@dont-
email.me:

Anybody who has prized the lid off from their mobile phone recently
cannot have failed to notice the tinplate-like screens shielding the RF
stages, in a similar manner to the lids on TV tuners.

As a ferrous screen is better than just aluminium for magnetic shielding,
I wonder if any have pressed into service the tinplate from cans of
baked beans to provide a similar function?

I used to make screened enclosures from old oil cans until they changed
them to plastic. Easy to solder, easy to cut and fold - you could usually
ignore the fold allowance - and reasonably rigid if you folded the top and
bottom edges over fully.

If so, what was the success in fabricating the springy fingers to ensure
a good seal?

I just made the covers slightly oversize and bent the edges in a bit
further. A blob of solder would keep them in place and was relatively easy
to remove if necessary.