Old November 15th 13, 09:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David Platt David Platt is offline

Default Noise susceptibility of a 2m yagi

It's my opinion that as mentioned, only element static buildup
might be reduced. And in most cases, that is usually only a problem
in dry areas, sometimes in the winter during snow storms, etc..
Also at high altitudes, one example being HCJB using loop elements.
Or they used to anyway.

As far as any local noise that is received by the antenna, they should
be the same as far as s/n. No difference at all. I'd almost be willing
to bet that your case of lower received local noise is due to that
antenna having better decoupling from the feed line than the one that
seems noisier. Good decoupling is critical. If using coax, poor
decoupling will allow noise that is picked up on the outer shield
of the coax, to be piped back down to the receiver on the inside
of the shield.

That's pretty much the conclusion that I had stumbled my way to, after
thinking about the question over the past few days.

It's possible that the length of the feedline might be an issue. The
impedance seen "looking down" the outside of the feedline coax could
vary a lot depending on whether it happened to be closer to an odd or
even number of electrical quarter-wavelengths. This could
significantly affect the antenna system's overall pattern (a low Z
along the braid would result in greater current flow and more RF
radiation/pickup from the feedline).

Adding some ferrites to the end of the feedline, just below the point
of connection to the (noisy) dipole, might bring this antenna "to par"
with the others.