Old October 23rd 04, 05:30 PM
Gary P. Fiber

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:12:44 +0000 (UTC), Joe McElvenney
wrote:

Hi,

I'm keying my rig on RTTY via COM-1 of the computer but on
start-up none of the standard software packages can find a COM
port to use. If I go into 'Device Manager' though, delete a port
and then re-install it, everything works fine until next time.
This I guess means that the ports are not being initialised.

Has anyone come across this and is there a simple fix? I have
already asked this question in the appropriate OS group (Windows
XP Home) but to no avail.

Cheers - Joe, G3LLV

Do you have a PDA ? If so your may be running a com port Hot Sync
software on start up. I just installed some software for a Fluke
Scopemeter and ran into the very similar issue. The software
complained COM 1 was in use.

also possible in the system bios the com port is not enabled.

There have been some issues with Windows XP and how it allows for com
port control, you might do some google searches on that.

Gary