Old December 2nd 13, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default Turning a 1/4 wave vertical upside down

On 12/1/2013 6:21 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"amdx" wrote in message
The receive area is small, 120" x 115", the antenna will be mounted 13"
in from the long dimension and 16" in from the smaller dimension,
basically in the corner of the lot, mounted 16 ft high.

Jeff, at this point, I have convinced myself putting a gain antenna on
the roof will solve any problem I may have. If not I can still remove 6db
of attenuation. So unless you want some mental exercise, don't over do it!

I am sure you mean feet ' instead of inches ". Without doing the math, I
would think that 150 feet would be the most you would need out of the
system. What is wrong with a horizontal dipole ? It should cover the area
just fine, and if not take out those attuenuators. I am not up on all the
part 15 rules, but I was thinking 100 milliwatts was fine to run. If you
can't hear it 200 feet away, I doubt the FCC is going to worry about it with
all the other things they have going on.

I don't think so either, I just want to do the job with minimum power.
Now that I've messed with the new 110 Mhz filter a bit, I might remove
one 3 db attenuator and see how it works around the yard.

Could that buzzing noise you hear be some other signal such as cable leakage
or the AC power lines line noise ?

I think it's 60 hertz or a harmonic, but with enough RF, I don't think
I'd hear it.
It seemed better, after I added my LPF, I don't think because of the
filtering but maybe impedance changes.

Mikek