Old December 2nd 13, 07:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson[_2_] Jim Thompson[_2_] is offline

Default Toob Amplified PC Speakers

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 12:58:56 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy
(and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch.

Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel-
cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled
on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm
just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range
amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all
uses ancient technology to get the job done.

Suggestions welcome.

TIA

All of my tube amplifiers, starting when I was only 14 years old, were
all open-chassis style. Only the preamplifier (Dynaco PAT-1, IIRC)
and the tuner, Dynaco FM-3, had cases.

I quit tubes in 1962 and built my first 30W+30W solid state power
amplifier using Motorola RF power transistors.

Having played clarinet in high school orchestra, marching band and
various Dixieland and dance bands, I was never fond of the toooob
"warmth"... and the intermodulation distortion... a good Mozart
wood-wind ensemble that includes a French horn will illustrate
distortion better than any test instrument.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |