Old December 2nd 13, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design
John S John S is offline

Default Toob Amplified PC Speakers

On 12/2/2013 3:02 PM, John S wrote:
On 12/2/2013 12:58 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy
(and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch.

Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel-
cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled
on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm
just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range
amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all
uses ancient technology to get the job done.

Suggestions welcome.

TIA

Good for you! Nostalgia has its place in our hearts.

Can 12AX7s and such still be ordered?

I have an old 1964 GE Essential Characteristics of tubes data book. If
you promise to actually build your amplifier(s) and it will assist you,
I will send it to you free of charge.

John

Well, somehow my brain elided the fact that you don't want to scratch
build. So, my offer is probably worth nothing. Sorry.