Old November 2nd 04, 10:43 PM
Steve Nosko

"Paul Keinanen" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:58:17 -0600, "Steve Nosko"
wrote:

Why both? It is the total series cap which is of concern. ...

Yes, it is doable with one fixed capacitor, however, the voltages
across the stray capacitances would be different and their effect
would be harder to predict.

Yes, at the higher freqs, strays become significant, as I remarked.

For a given total capacitance, putting more varactors in parallel
means that the capacitance each varactor must produce is reduced, thus
the tuning voltage must be increased, which is a good thing, since
this improves the ratio between the tuning voltage and RF voltage.
Dropping the impedance levels and hence increasing the capacitance
required also means that even more varactors can be connected in
parallel.

.... Let me ponder this... By golly, running several parallel varactors at
fifty volts does sound good, doesn't it. You are away from the high
non-linear region near zero. Never had that option, I guess.

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.