Old December 18th 13, 02:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default Turning a 1/4 wave vertical upside down

On 12/17/2013 10:29 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 08:28:16 -0600, amdx wrote:

I like my Foxnews network, otherwise dropping cable would
be easier.

When you buy a Roku or similar screaming media player, you get a mess
of "channels" with it. All they do is point to sources of streaming
media all over the internet. FoxNoise is one of those:
http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/2946/fox-news-channel

I did a short search of IPTV and only found Kansas
has googlefiber with a managed IPTV service. I'm not sure what
that all means, but the little reasearch I did, I don't think I could
have Foxnews on IPTV via Netflix, yet.

IPTV simply means watching television over something that spits
internet protocol packets. For example, I watch TV over a rather
slothish 1.5Mbit/sec DSL line. Netflix and some others adjust their
compression and speed to match the line speed, so they work just fine.
Other's just belch at higher rates resulting in the dreaded
"buffering" delays. Still others insist on downloading short clips
(about 5 min) into the media player buffer, before playing. IPTV is
far from a perfect replacement for cable or satellite TV, but it's
getting better.

A few more details...

If you're into playing recorded videos, look into setting up a Plex
media server:
http://www.plexapp.com

Netflix does not do local programming. So, if you want that, setup an
outside TV antenna and watch OTA (over the air) TV.

To me, the real benefit of watching Netflix over cable or satellite TV
is the lack of commercials.

As I've said before, my kids got Netflix and never concerned
themselves with cable.

Good. The kids can set it up for you.

Mikek
PS. I'm mulling over the logistics of sending an ice cream cone from Fl.
to Ca. :-)

A gift certificate from the local dispensary will suffice:
http://www.lovemariannes.com
I'm partial to (dark) chocolate chip.

I was hoping you wouldn't think of a gift certificate! ;-)

btw, is Sam a relative?
Mikek