Old December 31st 13, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Phil Kane[_3_] Phil Kane[_3_] is offline

Default Quad Band Antenna?

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 20:59:38 EST, Fred McKenzie wrote:

Another approach for common local frequencies, is to have a single base
station for each frequency, with a remote control at each position.
This allows the base station to be located (in a separate equipment
room?) closer to the antenna to minimize feed line loss. All it takes
is telephone wires to connect between the base stations and remotes.
Each remote could have a switch to select base stations.

At one time one of our clients' RACES installations contemplated
putting an ICOM ham transceiver up near the antennas in the equipment
room (attic) and using the detachable head in the EOC. The head was
designed to be "remotely" located in a vehicle via a CAT5-type cable.
ICOM said that they had tested it for 50 feet. We were going to test
it on the bench for 250 feet using a spool of CAT5 (no need to unroll
the whole length) but the client ran out of money for that project and
we never got to do it.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon