Old January 4th 14, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Stacking Winegard HD-6065P antennas

wrote in message
Dear John,

Stacking 2 HD6065P antennas in the same direction for gain you would mount
them 72" apart vertically from boom to boom. The phasing line will be 52"
long each +/- 1/8" of each other in length. The phasing lines will feed a
CC-7870 coupler to combine the signals. Your single output is now you
signal.

Cordially,
Hans Rabong
Tech. Service Manager.
Winegard Company

Unless I am missing something, seems like a waste of antenna and money.

I looked for the coupler and found this:

"You have the CC-7870 hooked up properly. However this coupler is just like
a 2-way splitter hooked up in reverse; in that it will reduce the signal
from each antenna by about 30%. "

If it is just a 2 way splitter in reverse, there is usually a 3 db loss and
all you get with 2 antennas is a gain of 3 db, so you gain nothing over a
single antenna with this coupler.

To get close to 3 db of gain you need to have a combiner of near zero loss.
This is often done by using an odd number of wavelenghts of feedline of a
differant impedance and hooking them in parallel to keep the impedance the
same. I doubt it would work very well over the while FM band,but may for a
small portion of it.

I don't know how big the antenna is, but you would be beter off with a
single larger antenna, or possiably an amplifier.
Maybe an even beter feedline.

---