Old January 12th 14, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Stacking Winegard HD-6065P antennas

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:31:23 -0500, Jerry Stuckle
wrote:

On 1/11/2014 11:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 19:41:20 -0500, Jerry Stuckle
wrote:

I didn't say they were unknown. Just that professional integrators
(including us) use better quality connectors.

Could I trouble you for a photo or part number for the crimp type F
connectors that you are using? I want to see what I'm missing.

I can't post an image to the list, and distributors websites require
logins. It won't do you any good anyway - you won't find them on ebay
and the link. Sale is restricted by the manufacturers to professionals.

Ah, secret sauce. A secret connector manufacturer and model number
obtainable only from a secret distributor. No doubt made exclusively
for professionals. The secret manufacturer probably made you sign an
NDA before he would sell you the connectors. He can't have
unprofessional hams using his secret connectors. The unobtainium
plating probably makes it difficult for you to take a photograph and
post it.

We know what is good and what is not. You don't need to tell us our job.

That's the problem. You haven't said anything about what you do, what
type of systems you work on, how you do it, what connectors you use,
what tools you use, where you obtain them, and the relative merits of
your system to those in use by Comcast and Charter. You offer nothing
that can be used, except that everything that I've been doing is
wrong, that every connector that I use is junk, and that everyone in
your area uses secret connectors and has magic cutters that last
nearly forever.

You might know what is good for "professionals", but I have no clue
what that might be. For me, questioning authority, trying something
different, and testing assumptions is a learning experience. I'm
doing a 10 year running experiment on the effectiveness of using 1"
PTFE wrap over commodity RF connectors for waterproofing. I'm testing
75 ohm coax where 50 ohms is standard. I use F connectors in a ham
radio environment for which they were never intended. I've designed
and build some rather odd antennas. I question and verify
conventional wisdom, claims, standards, test results, and
specifications. I've made both big and small mistakes, irritated the
experts, and occasionally inspired vendors into modifying their data
sheets and claims. I look for new ideas that I can use (or steal) and
had hoped that perhpas your secret F connector was in some way better
than the common Snap-n-Seal connector. I'm disappointed.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D