Old January 13th 14, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Low density nuts and bolts used in tower?

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 18:46:26 -0600, amdx wrote:

I stripped some parts from a large tower at a junkyard.
I saved the nuts and bolts just because I was curious.
The bolts are 5/8" x 1-1/2" long with the marking Kaiser.
The bolts, nuts and even the lock washer are all very light weight.
The lock washer is a slightly different color.
I don't think they are aluminum, I don't think it would have enough
strength. I used a file and gathered some filings and tried to burn
them, they didn't burn so I don't think it is magnesium.
Any idea what metal these bolts might be?
Mikek

Tower hex bolts are usually Grade 5, hot dipped galvanized, medium
carbon steel. For yours, the thread should be in 5/8-11 UNC. No clue
on the typical weight, but I can dig a bolt out of the pile and weigh
it if necessary.

- How many radial spokes are on the bolt head?

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/materials-and-grades/bolt-grade-chart.aspx
- Is the bolt magnetic or non-magnetic?
- You need to get magnesium up to 430C in order for it to start
burning. It will then go to about 3000C.
- The actual weight of a bolt would be helpful.
- Lock washers can be hot dipped galvanized, but are usually just
flash plated with zinc. That's because the thick layer of
zinc can be scraped off as the nut is tightened.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D