Old January 22nd 14, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Irv Finkleman Irv Finkleman is offline

Default Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

Q. Is there a relationship between the efficiency of an antenna and the
received signal strength?

Just pondering on the matter. Because I have to operate with
restricted space antennas, usually with low efficiency, I wonder how
much of a relationship exists between Efficiency and Received Signal
Strength?

This leads to more questions such as how much do radials contribute
to efficiency?

IF that isn't enough, how much do radials contribute to the bandwidth?

And...

And...

I'm never to old to learn, but I am old enough that a lot of mathematical
mumbo jumbo and Smith Charts tend to confound me!

For starters, I will be operating using an MP-1 antenna and a Yaesu
FT-817ND. I also have an MFJ-931 Artificial Ground, but propose
attaching the radials to the feedpoint on the MP-1. I intend to cut four
radials for 20M and spread them around the base of the antenna in
my room, and once the weather warms up, I'll try the antenna out on
the balcony with the radials spread around whatever real estate it
provides.

Thanks for any input on the matter....

Irv VE6BP

RADIATE OR DIE TRYING!