Old January 23rd 14, 04:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

"Irv Finkleman" wrote in message
Q. Is there a relationship between the efficiency of an antenna and the
received signal strength?

Just pondering on the matter. Because I have to operate with
restricted space antennas, usually with low efficiency, I wonder how
much of a relationship exists between Efficiency and Received Signal
Strength?

Most of your problem is not going to be with the receiver. I am thinking
that Yaesu is around 5 watts or less. For the most part you can just throw
out any kind of antenna and hear lots more than you will be able to work
with 5 watts. You can probably stick 10 to 15 feet of wire in the back of
the rig and hear as much as you can with the MP-1 antenna in the same room.

First I would get rid of that rig and get one with 100 watts out. Not that
you can't work stations with 5 watts, but you will make many more cotacts
with around 100 watts on a miminal antenna.

For the antenna put up anything you can. You may need a good tuner to match
the antenna. You did not say if you are in an apartment on a high floor.
If so, stick up what ever you can vertical and load it with a coil if
needed, and drop a wire toward the ground for about 1/4 wavelength.

Forget about really trying to chart and graph any antenna for your
situation, Just throw up something and get on the air. I would almost
recommend one of the screwdriver type antennas and some wire for a ground
plane or lower part of a dipole for your situation. For 20 meters and up
you may give a dipole made out of 2 of the Hamstick type antennas a try.

---