Old January 24th 14, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Stuckle Jerry Stuckle is offline

Default Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

On 1/23/2014 3:30 PM, Channel Jumper wrote:

Jerry Stuckle;814478 Wrote:
On 1/22/2014 5:32 PM, Irv Finkleman wrote:-
Q. Is there a relationship between the efficiency of an antenna and
the
received signal strength?
-

That depends on a lot of factors such as number of radials, length,
height above ground and ground conductivity, for start. Each situation

is different. But generally, for antennas such as 1/4 wave verticals,
radials will help.

Unfortunately, the only way to predict how an antenna is going to work
in a specific situation with any accuracy is with math and Smith Charts.

So you can use the "tried and true" method - put it up and see what
happens

==================

I'm sorry Jerry, but you don't know what you are talking about.

Smith Charts do not have anything to do with antenna efficiency or
resonance.
The only thing that Smith Charts does is explain what is happening
inside of a piece of coax X inches long. Note I do not use feet -
since that is too vague.

Again, wrong. Smith Charts explain a LOT about antennas. But then I
can see you've never used one - but you have to try to correct someone
who knows more than you, anyway. But you only show your ignorance.

And BTW - I was using Smith Charts before you were born.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address