Old January 24th 14, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

Jeff wrote:

I'm sorry Jerry, but you don't know what you are talking about.

Smith Charts do not have anything to do with antenna efficiency or
resonance.
The only thing that Smith Charts does is explain what is happening
inside of a piece of coax X inches long. Note I do not use feet -
since that is too vague.

Whilst I agree with your first point, Smiths Charts do not "explain what
is happening inside of a piece of coax X inches long". They are an easy
way to plot impedances, and show what happens if you *change* the length
of coax, but more importantly they give you an easy way of working out
how to match impedances (with or without any length of coax involved).
They can also display other valuable quantities such as Q.

jeff

A Smith chart is a plot of reactance and resistance versus frequency and
can be used for just about anything, if you know how to use one.

In the case of an antenna, the chart shows what you have to match at any
particular frequency and the resonant frequency of the antenna, i.e. the
point where the reactance is zero.

--
Jim Pennino