Old January 24th 14, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David Platt David Platt is offline

Default Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 04:06:20 -0800 (PST), W5DXP
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:32:09 PM UTC-6, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
You're not radiating anything in receive.

Isn't part of the received signal re-radiated?

I have no idea. I guess it's possible for a received signal to
"bounce" off the wire and wander off elsewhere. With VSWR, the
reflected signal might be re-radiated if the source impedance is
mismatched. Dunno.

My recollection is that in the best of cases (good match, no
dissipative losses), half of the RF energy which impinges on the
antenna goes into the feedline. The other half is re-radiated.

AIUI, the received EM field induces a current flow in the
antenna... and this current flow itself causes another EM field to be
generated and radiated away.