Old January 25th 14, 07:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default antenna theory made easy

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 20:35:38 -0500, Jerry Stuckle
wrote:

On 1/24/2014 6:16 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 15:06:27 -0500, Jerry Stuckle
wrote:

Reminds me of a friend who put up a ground mounted HF vertical in his
back yard (back in the 60's). He was sitting in the shack checking it
out when his wife let the dog out. The dog saw the new fire hydrant in
the back yard, but my friend was ready. Just as the dog lifted his leg,
my friend hit the key - with a full KW going to the antenna.

From then on, the dog gave the antenna a wide berth, always watching it
suspiciously.

Mythbusters did a test of urinating on an electrified 3rd rail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDY-0ijiOEQ
It didn't work. Surface tension causes the urine stream to break up
into non-connected globules, which will not conduct electricity.
Later, they managed to get it to work with a 3 inch stream.

Who cares about the 3rd rail? That's 60hz, not RF. A HUGE difference.
And they probably weren't 3-4" from the third rail like the dog was.

The 3rd rail is usually about 1500 VAC. Last time I checked, there
has to be current flowing though the conduction path. The losses
involved in jumping the air gap are just too high to electrocute the
dog. The RF field from the antenna might cook the dog, but not
electrocute. If you hadn't witten "Just as the dog lifted his leg" I
wouldn't have said anything.

Incidentally, I've gotten some rather nasty RF burns in the past. In
all cases, I was in physical contact with the antenna. Unless the
transmitter can produce an arc or possibly a corona discharge, there's
not going to be much in the way of RF current or electrocution.

Do you understand ANYTHING?

Are you able to discuss anything technical without resorting to
insults?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D