Old January 26th 14, 12:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default antenna theory made easy

wrote in message

On Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:08:43 PM UTC-6, Channel Jumper wrote:

This kind of stuff gives all amateurs a black eye when it comes to

proper operating procedures.

There is a lot of idiots out there that thinks that if they HAVE a 1000

watt amplifier that they automatically HAVE to turn it on in order for

everyone to hear them!

# A KW is chump power in the overall scheme of things.
# I knew a guy who ran 21.5 KW on 75m several years ago.
# And the FCC finally got after him. What did they do?
# Not much. They made him dismantle the amp, and restricted
# him to a small section of 75m for a while. No real biggie.
# They were actually kind of impressed with his station.
# His signal was always very clean.
# I knew another guy in New Orleans that got caught running
# about 8 KW. Again, they didn't do too much about it.
# Both are silent keys now..

Many years ago, I did a few shifts handling emergency traffic from
Richardson, TX to Wichita Falls after a tornado.
We used the Collins radio station at their facility, and had the blessing of
the FCC to go up to 10 KW if needed.

We had to do that once or twice on 40 meters. Amazing how well 10 KW and a
log periodic antenna at 100 feet can clear out a "hole".