Old January 26th 14, 06:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default antenna theory made easy

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 10:43:57 -0500, Jerry Stuckle
wrote:

When I first started out in ham radio, I used a Hy-Gain 18AVQ vertical -
80-10, with the instructions saying to mount one foot (that's twelve
inches for the trolls) above ground with an SO-239 to connect to the
coax.

Are you sure?
http://www.mediaglobe.it/shop/images/large/HYGAIN18AVQ11--av-18AVQ71_UcLOU9MUvMti_large.gif
I doubt that the dog could come anywhere near that antenna with the
radials poking out, even if they were buried.

http://www.eham.net/data/classifieds/images/244950.jpg
The base of the antenna looks like a 50 ohm point, which would be low
voltage. I don't have an NEC2 model of the 18AVQ, but my guess(tm) is
that the high voltages would be between the loading coils, not near
the base.

Quite within range of a large dog.

Large dog? I would think it would be easier to electrocute a small
dog because of the shorter urine stream. If one increases the height
of the dog by one inch, then the approximate width of the dog also
increases about one inch, thus bringing the urine source 1/2 further
away from the antenna. In addition, large dogs have longer legs. The
dog needs space to lift the leg, which again increases the distance
between the dog and the antenna. I also asked my neighbor, who has a
rather large dog, if the dog empties his bladder when marking his
territory. Nope. Just a small squirt sufficient to provide a scent
marker. If Mythbusters could only keep a 3" simulated stream together
long enough to not break into droplets, I suspect that a large dog,
with a much longer stream, would not be able to do as well.

Myth Busted.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D