Old January 26th 14, 04:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Stuckle Jerry Stuckle is offline

Default Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

On 1/26/2014 11:12 AM, Jeff wrote:
On 26/01/2014 15:50, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/26/2014 5:09 AM, Jeff wrote:

Rubbish, they tell you nothing more than the impedance at the point
that you wish to plot it. They tell you nothing about how well an
antenna may, or may, not radiate. A 50 ohm resistor will be purely
resistive (parasitic elements neglected) but won't radiate well.
Also an
antenna does not have to resonant to radiate well or have high
efficiency.

Jeff

Keep thinking that, Jeff, while those who know how to use Smith Charts
continue to design antennas.

Your ignorance is underwhelming.

Well Jerry, please help me increase my knowledge. Please tell me now to
show what "goes on *inside* a bit of coax" on a Smith chart, or how to
show the efficiency of an antenna from a Smith chart.

Jeff

I'll tell you what, troll. You go to college. Get a EE degree. Learn
the math and the theory. Them maybe you can understand basics and we
can discuss the subject intelligently (although I doubt it).

Been there done that, and spend 30+ designing and specifying radio
equipment, and using Smith charts.

Yea, right.

I'll take it as a "no I can't" then. Which of course is true you can't
how what "goes on *inside* a bit of coax" on a Smith chart, or how to
show the efficiency of an antenna from a Smith chart.

Nope, I'm not even going to try to teach the pig to sing, especially in
a newsgroup. But trolls don't understand that.

Try reading Mr Smith's excellent book on his Smith Chart and you might
find out what it can and can't do!!!

Jeff

Try getting your EE degree along with the math, physics and electrical
theory. Then maybe we can discuss this intelligently.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address