Old January 27th 14, 08:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Relationship Between Antenna Efficiency and Received Signal Strength

In message , Jeff Liebermann
writes
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 19:23:04 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Jeff Liebermann
writes
When the Hz arrived, I embraced it gladly
and immediately abandoned CPS.

I didn't like hertzes when they we foisted upon us - and I still don't
(although I won't go as far as to rebel against them). In a spoken
sentence, they always seem to introduce a bit of a hiccup, whereas
"cycles" seems to roll more easily off the tongue (even if those using
it really mean cycles per second).

That's because of the English accent. Try pronouncing it as "hurts".
In New York, the pronunciation is something like "hoits".

At Avis rent-a-car, Hertz is never mentioned.

Drivel: Marketing people like to identify their products with names
and letters that make the speaker smile when pronouncing it. The
common "say cheese" in photography is an example. "Cycles" doesn't
quite make one smile, but it's close. "Hertz" is produces almost a
frown, which may explain why you're having difficulties with it.

Hertz certainly hurts a bit when you say it - especially if you
pronounce it correctly, as 'hairts' (almost a grimace).

'Hertz' requires more breath than 'cycles', so prior to saying it, you
often pause for a momentary intake of air. Also, the units 'Hz', 'kHz'
and 'MHz' don't lend themselves to pronunciation, whereas 'cycles',
'kay-sees' and 'megs' do.

Just to get back on topic, since we started using Hz, I'm sure antennas
have become less efficient and signal strengths lower - and it's certain
that QRM is now much worse.
--
Ian