Old January 27th 14, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default 3/8x24 2 meter mobile

On Monday, January 27, 2014 2:06:56 PM UTC-6, R. Scott wrote:
Have been looking around for plans for a 1/2 or 5/8 2 meter mobile

antenna to play with. I have several Iron Horse whips I no longer use

and thought id use them as a starting point for a 5/8 2 meter mobile

whip I could use on my CB mount for most of the time. (I use the CB only

when our RV club travels as a group).

I did a ton of google/bing searches but have come up fairly empty. I

know I could buy one cheap but thats not what ham radio is about .

The tricky part is rigging up the matching/loading coil.
About the easiest way to rig up a 5/8 2m whip is to take one
of those old CB antennas with the base loading coil which has
a plastic sleeve over the coil. Very common back in the day..
Pull the sleeve up and redo the coil to act as a loading coil
for 2m. Usually will end up maybe 4-5 turns or so, but will
have to be tweaked. That's about all I can think of offhand
that is easy to make, and still looks OK after it's finished..
Naturally you'll need to trim the whip, or get one the right
length. I have no idea what an "iron horse" whip is, so couldn't
say much about those.