Old January 28th 14, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. O'Nella[_3_] Sal M. O'Nella[_3_] is offline

Default 3/8x24 2 meter mobile

"R. Scott" wrote in message
Have been looking around for plans for a 1/2 or 5/8 2 meter mobile antenna
to play with. I have several Iron Horse whips I no longer use
and thought id use them as a starting point for a 5/8 2 meter mobile
whip I could use on my CB mount for most of the time. (I use the CB only
when our RV club travels as a group).

I did a ton of google/bing searches but have come up fairly empty. I know
I could buy one cheap but thats not what ham radio is about .

I have used several MFJ magmounts as the start-point of antenna building.
They stick on a metal car top, obviously, but they also stick on anything
else ferro-magnetic, like the lid of a can full of rocks (yes, I did) or an
old, discarded chassis slide (yes, again). Added counterpoise may be
required.

Check this before you buy ... but I think the item is the MFJ 1724B. The
base I used has the 3/8 inside thread you described and the MFJ threaded
insert can take a whip of any length -- just loosen the setscrew and replace
the existing whip with one of your choice or your design. The base thread
also accepts Hustler HF elements and maybe some others. Added physical
support may be required for HF elements.

BONUS: On my minivan, I often use a particular insert into which I
installed a long, untuned whip. When it's connected to the built-in car
radio instead of the stock vehicle antenna, that roof-mounted long whip is a
dynamite AM antenna on my long trips across the western desert.

"Sal"
(KD6VKW)