Old January 29th 14, 08:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default (OT) What's a DECENT fm (clock?) radio?

On 01/29/2014 10:31 AM, Kevin Alfred Strom wrote:
On 1/28/2014 10:46 PM, David Combs wrote:
I'm having a hard time finding a decent fm radio.

Ones I've bought at costco -- when a cab drives
by the house, you hear him transmitting on
his radio.

And LOUSY sensitivity!

(Where do they make these things, in China?)

I look in Amazon for table-top radios, and
not one gets consistently decent reviews.

And apparently all of them are slapped together
with ZERO effort at defect-free construction.

So, you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks!

David

PS: In an earlier life, back in the 50's and 60's,
I was K5TEQ. Built (of course) DX-40, and even
that HUGE heathkit ham receiver. Later got an
NCX-something SSB transceiver (could NCX
have been the name? -- it was SO long ago.)

But tired of the ham stuff -- the only thing people
wanted to talk about was their equipment!

David

I like my ten-year-old Boston Acoustics clock radio. Nice sound, decent
reception.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

I used to have a Tivoli table radio (no clock function) that was even
better.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Good luck,

Kevin.

I still have my each of those. I use the Kloss Model One; the BA is back
in the box. I found the sound to be excessively tubby. The thing is deaf
on MW and the "Digital" function was very iffy.