Old January 30th 14, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default 3/8x24 2 meter mobile

"R. Scott" wrote in message
On 1/29/2014 9:25 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Thanks, My figuring was all wrong . Just so everyone knows, its a
standard Firestik wound loaded about 4ft long. So its not base loaded,
they distributed the coil from top to bottom (tighter winding at the top).

Ill experiment when I have time.

W7PSK

Ive experimented with many wire antennas over the years, but never loading
types. Thats why I came to the experts .

The antennas you have to start with are almost the opposit of what you want
to do. The ones you have are physically too short to be a 1/4 wave on the
low bands and need lots of wire to make up the differance. When used on 2
meters and above it is easy to go over 1/4 wave and still mout them on a
car. You may get some gain by doing this. To use the whips that have wire
wrapped around it for several feet on 2 meters, you will need to strip off
all the old wire and just run a single wire up the whip and put just a few
turns around the bottom to match it.

Always fun to expirment with what you have.

---