Old February 11th 14, 04:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
lw1ecp lw1ecp is offline

Default Choosing an optimal IF or LO range

Hi! Somewhere I read about unfortunate combinations of IF and LO frequencies. Of course, you must make sure no LO harmonic will equal the IF across its tuning range. Or f(antenna) = IF. Apart from these obvious cases, there are more subtle combinations that are sadly discovered when the receiver has already been designed and built. A famous example is the birdie when tuning 910kHz with an IF of 455: twice the antenna frequency beats with the 1365kHz LO giving also 455.
Can anyone point me to some article on how to predict undesirable cases?
I am planning to tune 14 to 14.3MHz with IF = 10MHz and LO = 4 to 4.3MHz (commercial rigs would oscillate at 24 to 24.3). Am I going in a bad direction?
Thank you!