Old February 12th 14, 11:11 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
gareth gareth is offline

Default The ATU, a dying art?

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
If memory serves, the legendary FT101 even included 27MHz coverage. It was
certainly reported to be used by more CBers than licensed amateurs.
As you suggest, CBers may have been able to compensate for the antenna
impedance over their limited bandwidth by using the Pi network.
Which demonstrates that some amateurs are put in the shade in technical
skill by CBers.

Once again that is a an interjection of childish venom by you; I had been
using
valve PA stages for 24 years before I picked up in 1995 a museum piece of an
FT101e
that was in such pristine condition that I elected to wait until the full
manual
was availble to me before using it on transmit. I did use it on receive, and
fitted
the narrow CW filter to it.

However, with the passage of time, when I set out as an independent
contractor,
I needed to make room for my business interests, and a number of stalled
projects
were offered for sale. Now, when you sell a TX, you would be expected to be
honest
about its capabilities, but as I had not used it on transmit I could not
vouch for its
capabilities so I said why in the notice for sale, as I was brought up to be
decent
and honest, I could not have offered it otherwise.

(You can be confident thus, that should you purchase anything from me, that
you'll get
an honest appraisal about it)

For some reason, Brian, and I regrettably have to say that it seems to arise
from an infantile
spite, you time and again make sneers about it.

That sale was 16 years ago. Grow up. man!