Old February 12th 14, 09:21 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal[_4_] Sal[_4_] is offline

Default The ATU, a dying art?

"gareth" wrote in message

snipped

It is not a question of baiting, but of a serious concern, that amateur
radio / ham radio
is a technical pursuit and is slowly frittering away such that many radio
amateurs are
indistinguishable from CBers.

I'm with you.

I know electronics well -- ET School in the Navy + 20 years; FCC First
Class Commercial in 1982 with no study; another 25 years working in the
field; a B.S. in 1989. I passed all my ham exams on the first shot, Extra
with no study. I love this stuff and I'm grateful to have a gift for it.
It was a great career.

I'm at one end of the ham-knowledge scale and it makes me sad to see that
the population at the other end of the scale is growing. We have one local
ham who just kept taking the exams until he eventually passed them. He's
nominally an Extra but knows NOTHING about electronics and cares not to
learn. It's sad to see.

"Sal"
(KD6VKW)