Old February 14th 14, 09:48 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
gareth gareth is offline

Default The Texas Bugcatcher and capacity hats

"Sal" salmonella@food poisoning.org wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message
In another post, those of us from THIS side of the pond were
shown the Texas Bugcatcher antenna (easily googled), and its
extensive website.
And my question is this, why is it called
a capacity hat, because calculation of the capacity between the hat
and the ground will only give, at a guess, a miniscule fraction of a
puff.

Others have provided essential theory.
In practice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFI
See paragraph entitled "Third Tower" and read
second sentence.
75 feet of broadcast tower is a lot of steel and a
fair amount of money.
Pictures of the tower and hat are at
http://www.oldradio.com/archives/warstories/640.htm
and scroll down most of the way.

Thanks, but I do not pursue URLS, my viewpoint being
that if there is something worthwhile to discuss, then
discuss it.