Old February 14th 14, 03:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wymsey Wymsey is offline

Default The ATU, a dying art?

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 11:21:37 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

Because of the increase of domestic interference, the use of endfed
antennas - fed at the shack (house) end - is now definitely a 'bad
thing',
whereas a remote feed usually results in fewer interference problems.

My inverted L is matched at the base of the vertical section at the
bottom of the garden. I use an AAMU that works from 160m to 6m, it's
battery powered with the latter being charged by a solar cell panel.

Now, I could easily make a matching unit from discrete components and
remotely control adjustment, by wireless or wire. I could use RF sensing
to drive a controller. Or I could let the AAMU take the strain so I can
spend my precious spare time doing radio stuff that really interests me -
like SDR. I also enjoy spending time in the company of friends and wife.

--
M0WYM
Sales @ radiowymsey