Old February 15th 14, 06:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Antenna article

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
The coil has nothing to do with why some types of
5/8 verticals show little or no gain vs a 1/4 GP,
or isotropic.

Just a minor note on this issue. If the coil actually did contribute
a 1dB power loss, the lost power would need to be either reflected or
dissipated by the coil if it's not being radiated as RF. I haven't
seen any high VSWR 5/8 wave antennas, so it's not VSWR. I haven't
seen the matching coil on my Larsen 5/8 wave antenna, with a 45 watt
VHF mobile, become warm. If it was dissipating 4.5 watts, I should be
able to see it get quite warm[1]. I pointed an IR thermometer at the
coil and transmitted for about 5 minutes. No change. However, I did
see a very slight temperature rise from a mercury thermometer taped to
the stainless steel antenna rod (which could be attributable to my
sloppiness). The test is easily reproduced. Have fun.

Just the same type of easy test that can be done with the old saying of 1 db
loss per connector. Connectors have a very small loss in them. If they
did have the 1 db or even 1/2 of a db loss and you put 100 to 1000 watts
through them you could really feel the heat after a short transmission.

---