Old February 18th 14, 04:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal[_4_] Sal[_4_] is offline

Default Antenna article

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message
In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I hate to admit it, but I think I've built them backwards over the
years. Maybe that's why J-poles have such a lousy reputation and why
I think they suck?

Jeff-

Please pardon my ignorance. I understood that a J-Pole is a half wave
antenna connected to a quarter wave stub. The transmission line is
connected to a low impedance point (50 Ohms?) on the stub.

In the literature, it is usually fed as an unbalanced antenna, but it is
not. Therefore, it should not matter which side has the center
conductor or shield - they are both wrong!

Fred
K4DII

I acknowledge the split opinion on the feed. I've often thought it
shouldn't matter, since the idea is to excite the stub (which is, itself, a
half-wave if you count both sides). I follow the crowd, frankly.

How would you change the feed method? I've had generally good performance
from my J-poles but I'll gladly improve what I do, if you have some ideas.

73,
"Sal"
(KD6VKW)