Old February 18th 14, 12:41 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Brian Reay[_5_] Brian Reay[_5_] is offline

Default The "Two Transistor challenge" - taking things a bit too far?

On 18/02/14 11:38, FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI wrote:

I had a Sinclair Micro 6, that was how I discovered Top Band (160m)

I'm sure I still have mine. Sadly, the 250 ohm earpiece met with a
terminal end and I've never found a replacement.

Building radios etc. were the signs of being a geek or nerd in the days
before home computers.

Did you also build the Sinclair Calculator that came along in about
1973? Painfully slow to use, a quick slide rule user could probably beat
it in a calculation which had a few trig functions in it, but geek 'must
have' ;-)

Back to the title, Some clubs run competitions along the lines of:

Build an 80m tx with the fewest components.

OR

Build a 20m rx with with the fewest components.

There are rules as to whether the battery counts etc., use or not of
ICs. ....

While I follow the QRP scene, I don't pretend to be an ardent QRPer or
QRP builder so I'm not fully briefed on the rules. Those are simply an
outline I recall.

Whoever started the thread is, I assume, an ardent and active
constructor. Perhaps he/she will share some of their designs to inspire
others to follow their example.