Old February 18th 14, 02:05 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Percy Picacity Percy Picacity is offline

Default The "Two Transistor challenge" - taking things a bit too far?

In article ,
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

On 2/18/2014 5:58 AM, gareth wrote:
There was a time, back inthe 1920s and 1930s, that any active device
(valves in them thar days, tubes for the leftpondians) would cost nearly
a week's wages for the average working man, and so it was good economical
sense to try and use it as many ways as possible simultaneously.

Times have changes, and active devices with performance into the tens
of MegaHertz are now ten-a-penny, so what is achieved by competitions
such as the "Two Transistor Challenge" where it is the costs of switching
(manual, relays) which would be the major outlay?

Not carping, just curious.

-----ooooo-----

BUT BUT BUT, this one has no switching, apart from the Morse Key! ...

http://www.vk2zay.net/article/file/1138

I'm not familiar with this particular challenge - but similar ones I've
seen are more about the design than the cost.

Jerry, AI0K

True, but it is still a ridiculous constraint. It is about as sensible
as designing something where the first digit of every component value
had to be '4'.

--

Percy Picacity