Old February 18th 14, 08:39 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Brian Reay[_5_] Brian Reay[_5_] is offline

Default The "Two Transistor challenge" - taking things a bit too far?

On 18/02/14 20:21, Brian Howie wrote:
In message , Brian Reay writes

For the 'everyday' user, RPN was not popular and calculators offering,
almost, algebraic, entry became more popular. I think the first
calculator to offer true algebraic entry (ie following BODMAS/BIDMAS
convention) was Texas. Even today some cheap calculators don't follow
the convention. One of the many things I warn pupils of when I teach
calculator use.

I used a National Semiconductor 4640 RPN calculator for about 30 years.
So much so that I can't use a "normal" calculator. I've still got it but
it needs the charger socket and the batteries replaced.

RPN can't be beat for long chain calculations.

True.

Either way, RPN as the user interface has become a 'niche' market. Do HP
still offer RPN?