Old November 24th 04, 07:49 PM
Dave Platt

are metal film resistors wirewound or not? I've been trying to find this one
out. Someone who I know says they're not so are suitable for RF but Maplin
catalog seems to say they are.

Strictly speaking they are not "wire wound", but some are constructed
with the film "wound" around a substrate, thus having a lot of inductance.

If you dont't have the makers specs to tell you, the choices are to
measure the inductance or to remove the coating and see what's underneath.

Several manufacturers (Caddock and some of the Vishay divisions) make
metal-film resistors which are advertised as having about the same
amount of inductance as a straight wire the same length as the
resistor body. I believe that these have the film cut into a
back-and-forth serpentine meander pattern, rather than a spiral.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO